Monday, August 11, 2008


Untitled, 2008

That streak of light in the sky… UFO? Meteor? Burning satellite debris? No, nothing that dramatic, merely a jet on its approach to the local airport. All day & late into the evening there is a seemingly endless procession of them just above my eastern horizon. I'm talking every three minutes here.  In case you haven't noticed, there are frequent cameos appearances by aircraft in my photographs. More often than not, these are unanticipated. At first I wasn't sure if I should post this but I liked all the other ambient light sources: streetlights, different windows, doorbells & even that distinctly odd, somewhat incongruous glowing line of the jet lights.

3 comments:

bran said...

at first glance, this looks like CG neighborhood in a film or cartoon, because the lighting and scenery seem so perfectly rendered and positioned. are you sure you don't live in the peaceful town of Perfectia? the only thing that throws off the illusion is the jet smoke. so, maybe that's the cosmic purpose of all those jet engines, to break up the perfect skies of Perfectia so that the citizens may experience reality in all its jarring, shard-like forms? shoot the planes down, brother - they're harbingers of trouble and strife.

M.W. Nolden said...

Bran ~
The camera is sometimes a liar…

An almost antique 3.5 megapixel hand-me-down camera used in a low-light situation is ALWAYS a liar.

The perfect town is actually three towns west of those apartment buildings that always get in the way of my sunset photos.

Anonymous said...

I swear this looks just like a piece of the backlot at Warner Bros. Or the street where they used to shoot the exteriors of Leave It To Beaver over at Universal.
You live next door to Pleasantville, that's what it is.