Sunday, May 24, 2009


Apollo, 1984

These are, again, scanned SX-70 photographs; in fact, any pictures that show up here with a date in the 80s were taken with a Polaroid camera. The biggest problem with all of these SX-70 pictures was that the photos had polyester film as a protective surface & were very prone to scratches, often emerging fresh from the camera with a few scrapes on the surface. I recently showed these to a friend who was quite surprised at the high quality of the color; most instant pictures tend to rapidly yellow & fade but fortunately these were all put into boxes & kept out of the light for the past twenty five years so have retained that painterly, somewhat excentric & unpredictable color we all loved.

3 comments:

bran said...

they're beautiful despite their age (or in spite of?) love these colors and the composition of the two together. MW, I would love to see you sell some of these as art prints. You hang onto your originals, just give us some giclees on etsy.com. what do you say? there's a place in my hall that could use this pair in a smart black frame with off-white matting. Make prints so I can hand you my money. Heh.

Yvonne said...

This diptych is not only beautiful, it has a magical quality for me: I feel as if I've seen it before...in fact, known it forever.

M.W. Nolden said...

Bran: You aren't the first person to suggest this & I'm considering it.