Sunday, September 14, 2008


Moon with Helicopter Lights, 2008

I thought there might not be a moon to see tonight. It had been clear but very hot & humid all afternoon & there were thickening clouds at moonrise that allowed only the very, very palest smear of moonlight to penetrate. Damn, hot weather ~ there might be thunderstorms… Tonight of all nights. However, as if on cue, the clouds began to thin & there it was… The great autumn full moon, thinly veiled at first but now totally clear, gigantic & glorious. As always, I have my chilled saki at hand. My fellow moon watcher in Japan had reminded me with an extremely flattering gesture to be sure & look.
Kampai Peony!

I try to make these full moon photographs a bit different each month & usually the atmospheric conditions have obliged me with the necessary variations. This time, while admittedly not my best attempt, the helicopter intrusion at least managed to provided an unexpected element of surprise.

No comments: