Saturday, September 20, 2008


Self Portrait with Age-inappropriate Candy, 2008

I'm probably a bit too mature for the skateboard shirt as well but the logo was moderately discreet, it was a lovely blue color (which has only improved as it fades with repeated washings) & most importantly, inexpensive. In my line of work I ruin a lot of tee-shirts; almost everything I own has either a paint smear, an annoyingly scratchy drip of archival glue or burn hole somewhere.

The Kandy Korn is another story. Every fall, when it first appears in my local supermarket, I buy a small bag because it is so iconic of autumn here in the USA. I love the way it looks, not so much as a singular tiny wedge but en masse. I always use that same highly polished, stainless steel bowl because of the reflections. (Exactly like a diminutive Anish Kapoor sculpture.) It may be small, only six inches in diameter, but filled with Kandy Korn… Well, upon entering the room one simply can't ignore it. There's something about the absolutely ravishing, unapologetic vulgarity of those three lurid colors in combination all that sugar. The aroma has something to do with it as well ~ sweetly appealing, yet at the same time appallingly unnatural & artificial. (Like I said ~ so American.) I always say this yearly ritual is performed purely for visual & olfactory effect but since we all know that history repeats itself ~ I probably will have eaten half the bowl, made myself ill & pitched the rest out in the trash before the week has passed.

Ah… Tradition.

3 comments:

bran said...

I really, very much like this photo. For the colors (supreme) but the title makes it.

M.W. Nolden said...

But it's true… It is SO inappropriate for an almost 58 year old man to actually consume Kandy Korn.

Actually, if you think about it, it's sort of inappropriate for anyone to consume that stuff. Do you let Roo eat it?

By the way, I'm a quarter of the way down into the bowl but this year I'm pacing myself…

bran said...

i'm a terribly permissive parent. i'd let her eat dirt if she really felt like it. followed by brussel sprouts, of course. *cough*