Saturday, October 4, 2008


Crescent Moon (Secaucus, NJ), 2008

I'm beginning to feel obligated to document the lunar phases… I had wanted to catch La Luna when there was just the merest sliver of a waxing crescent, a surprisingly delicate, luminescent sickle that hints at the fullness to come… I've discovered that at twilight there is a very small window of opportunity when the moon looks her best against the still blue sky. Unfortunately, Thursday evening at that exact moment ~ I happened to be on a long stretch of elevated highway & had nowhere to pull over. The decisive moment passed & I had missed it. However, Friday evening, while standing in the parking lot of a liquor store in Secaucus, NJ… 

I didn't. 

(Admittedly, 24 hours later our inconstant moon had become a little thicker than I would have wanted ~ more croissant than sickle ~  but still very lovely & evocative.)   

No comments: