Friday, October 3, 2008


Untitled Study (Nocturne), 2008

It should be obvious to anyone familiar with contemporary photography that I'm wandering about in well traveled territory with the pictures posted at RMH ~ no terra incognita here. I do not consider myself a photographer, per se, since I lack the enormous amount of technical knowledge necessary to be truly articulate with a camera ~ in essence, I just take carefully considered snapshots. I am, by training & inclination, a painter but for the past few years there simply has not been the time to paint, or for that matter even draw properly. To be done well, serious painting requires an enormous amount of time & more importantly, focus. Since I have a relatively small amount of time to call my own these days, I've been using photography to keep my creative "muscles" from getting sluggish & flabby. These photos (& I don't just mean the ones in this post but all the photos I've posted over the past six months) are done with an antiquated "point & shoot" digital camera & to be honest, I actually consider them to be closer to a kind of automatic drawing. (No, I'm not going to go into a detailed explanation; use your imaginations…) My point here is simply this: since I have a very good eye, a distinct, personal point of view, an overabundance of intellectual curiosity (granted the emphasis should be on my curiosity rather than intellect…) & almost forty years of engagement with the visual arts, please keep in mind that I think very carefully about most of the pictures that are posted here. While not high art & often frivolous; they are not, for the most part, casual fluff…

Consider these diversions serious fun.

No comments: